Whether you’re operating a Bar Bending machine, a Sheet Metal Bending machine, or a Pipe Bending machine; working with the bending machine can be risky if you don’t take required safety measures and precautions.
So in order to raise awareness of safe manufacturing practices, we’ve listed important safety tips and precautions you should pursue when using a bending machine:
I. Safety tips before using the machine:
- Understand the Machine & its operation:
- Read the instruction manual of the bending machine thoroughly before using it.
- Get to know as much as you can about its functioning and measures to be taken in case of sudden breakdown from various sources.
- Since the Bending machines are heavy, powerful machines; it’s advisable to get some firsthand training from an experienced individual when using any bending machine for the first time.
- Having an experienced engineer walk new users through the use of a bending machine helps increase safety by having someone who knows what is or isn’t normal for that equipment supervising.
- Check the placement of the object: Proper placement of the object to be bent is very important. So select the correct bending angle beforehand. Make sure the object (to be bent) is placed parallel to the bender table before you commence your work.
- Warming up: When the weather is cold, warm up the bending machine by setting it in motion and allow it to operate for a few minutes before using it.
II. Safety Tips while using the bending machine:
- Wear protective safety equipment: Needless to say that the operator must wear the following protective safety equipment to protect himself from any scrap metal or sharp equipment.
- Safety Goggles – To protect your eyes from flying particles or rods.
- Thick Gloves – To make it easy for you to handle pieces of equipment while protecting your fingers and palms at the same time.
- Thick Footwear – For efficient operation of the foot pedal.
- Thick, protective clothing and headwear; if instructed.
- Watch your hands: While placing the object on the bending machine, the operator must be very alert and careful about moving his hands on the bending machine. Otherwise, lack of attention can cause severe accidents.
- Be careful with foot pedal operation: For safety purposes, the same person who operates the bar bender must operate the foot pedal also.
- Handle wet metal sheets with utmost care: The wet surfaces contain moisture, which when mixed with dirt and oil can make the surface of the sheet slippery; thereby making it slippery and hard to grip.
III. General Tips:
- Operate the Bending machine, only if you are fully conscious and alert. Avoid using the bending machine if you’re unwell due to any reason.
- Always keep the work surface clean from any kind of scrap, to avoid any mishap.
- Regular inspections of bending equipment are a necessity. Inspect the bending machine before their activation and during the initial startup and carefully record any issues in a repair log. So it can be safely used at the maximum capacity.
These are some of the most important safety tips and precautions you must follow while operating a bending machine. If you want to know more about bending machines; you can get in touch with the experts from Smit Corporation, which is a leading supplier of high-quality Construction Machinery and Scaffolding equipment in India.